Close Menu
Chicago News Journal
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Contact us
    • About us
    • Amazon Disclaimer
    • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    Chicago News JournalChicago News Journal
    • Home
    • US News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • LifeStyle
    • Music
    • Television
    • Film
    • Books
    • Contact
      • About us
      • Amazon Disclaimer
      • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    Chicago News Journal
    Home»US News

    California AG Bonta says Meta case about restitution and distortion

    AdminBy AdminAugust 19, 2026 US News
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit Telegram

    Meta Platforms CEO Mark Zuckerberg departs the office of U.S. Majority Leader John Thune (R-SD) following a meeting at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., U.S., March 26, 2026.

    Nathan Howard | Reuters

    Following the first day of arguments in a high-stakes child safety case against Meta, California Attorney General Rob Bonta said Tuesday that the trial centers around “civil penalties, restitution and distortion,” and is not primarily about money.

    “This is not a damages case,” Bonta said at a press conference after the day’s session had wrapped up.

    The trial at Oakland’s federal court house is expected to last six to seven weeks. Bonta and attorneys general from Colorado, New Jersey and Kentucky are co-leading the trial against Meta, and represent a bipartisan group of 29 AGs who allege that the design and features of Facebook and Instagram encouraged addictive behavior in children and are detrimental to their mental wellbeing.

    Meta’s lawyers have previously warned that the consolidated case could lead to penalties reaching $1.4 trillion, or roughly equal to the company’s market cap. State AGs told presiding federal Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers last week that $200 billion is a more likely figure.

    An advisory jury was seated to hear the case, but Gonzalez Rogers will ultimately decide Meta’s fate. It’s the same setup that was in place for the trial between Elon Musk and Sam Altman earlier this year.

    Attorneys representing the states allege that Meta violated federal and state laws like the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA, and various consumer protection statutes. Bonta said the states’ lawyers “submitted documentation to the court” that included certain statistics related to the number of young users on apps like Facebook and Instagram as a rubric to determine potential civil penalties.

    “To be clear, we are not asking for $1.4 trillion dollars,” Bonta said Tuesday. He said it’s the “highest possible number that could ever be calculated based on that data,” and that “It’s a figure Meta estimated.” Meta disputes that claim.

    Bonta said the plaintiffs “will be asking for a significant financial gain in the form of total existing civil penalties as an important and appropriate part of this case.” He said, “The judge will exercise discretion as to what that will be.”

    How social media became a key battleground in the Iran war

    The trial stems from a lawsuit filed in 2023. During opening arguments, California Deputy Attorney General Megan O’Neill laid out the claims against Meta. Similar to other related social media trials, including the Los Angeles personal injury proceedings that Meta and Google’s YouTube lost in March, O’Neill focused her arguments on allegations that public statements made by executives like Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg contradicted the company’s internal research into the mental wellbeing of children and misrepresented the true extent of harm.

    “Meta, one of the largest, most powerful companies in the world, carried out a campaign to deceive, to mislead its users, legislatures, teachers and parents,” O’Neill told the advisory jury.

    Paul Schmidt, a Covington & Burling trial attorney representing Meta, contested O’Neill’s arguments, and disputed the notion that Meta executives misled the public with their statements about child safety.

    “As you hear the evidence we will be asking you, does this prove the specific things they are claiming?” Schmidt said to the eight jury members.

    For the alleged violations, the state lawyers want Meta to delete all personal data for children under 13 and the related algorithms and models trained with that information, and to remove certain design elements like infinite scroll, autoplay and beauty features.

    The trial follows a recent court victory against Meta by New Mexico AG Raúl Torrez that resulted in the social media giant being directed to pay $567 million into an abatement fund as part of the second phase of a case involving child sexual exploitation allegations. The jury had already ruled in March that Meta should be forced to pay $375 million in civil penalties for violating New Mexico’s unfair practices act.

    Bonta noted that Meta isn’t the only social media company in the crosshairs of various state attorneys general. He said several states “already have pending lawsuits now against TikTok,” and that he’s “also concerned about YouTube as well as Snap.” Meta is merely “first in line,” he said, in a statewide pursuit for “some industry-wide solutions.”

    “Who goes first? Who goes last? Ideally, they all go at the same time,” Bonta said. “That’s not possible. In an ideal world, they would all commit to the same reforms and changes to all kids and keep them safe.”

    WATCH: Landmark Meta trial kicks off. Here’s what to know.

    Landmark Meta trial kicks off: Here's what to know
    Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.

    Read the original article here

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit Telegram

    You might also be interested in...

    Amazon plans drone expansion as top exec projects 1 million deliveries

    August 19, 2026

    Trump, Carney reportedly in talks ahead of new 50% Canada tariffs

    August 18, 2026

    Russia fires top economist after Ukraine war warning

    August 18, 2026

    L3Harris ousts CEO Chris Kubasik over conduct, stock drops

    August 18, 2026

    Meta faces state AG trial over child safety claims

    August 17, 2026

    Russia targets Danube port after major attack on Moscow

    August 17, 2026
    Popular Posts

    ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies aged 77

    Trump says no Iran talks planned as Hormuz tensions rise

    New Mystery and Thriller Books to Read | August 18

    Number 6 Haircut For Men – Guide + Styling Products for 2026

    Fox News Anchor Abruptly Quits Show After 5 Years

    ‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ Interview: Andrew Garfield and More

    Categories
    • Books (2,279)
    • Business (3,212)
    • Events (31)
    • Film (257)
    • LifeStyle (2,747)
    • Music (2,615)
    • Politics (2,175)
    • Science (1,847)
    • Technology (1,786)
    • Television (4,102)
    • Uncategorized (3)
    • US News (3,061)
    Archives
    Useful Links
    • Contact us
    • About us
    • Amazon Disclaimer
    • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    © 2026 Chicago News Journal. All rights reserved. All articles, images, product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement unless specified. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.