Close Menu
Chicago News Journal
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Contact us
    • About us
    • Amazon Disclaimer
    • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    Chicago News JournalChicago News Journal
    • Home
    • US News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • LifeStyle
    • Music
    • Television
    • Film
    • Books
    • Contact
      • About us
      • Amazon Disclaimer
      • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    Chicago News Journal
    Home»Politics

    Trump loses Supreme Court bid to overturn E. Jean Carroll verdict

    AdminBy AdminAugust 17, 2026 Politics
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit Telegram

    Writer E. Jean Carroll arrives at the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, where former U.S. President Donald Trump will arrive to ask a federal appeals court to overturn a $5 million jury verdict finding him liable for sexually assaulting and defaming her, who accused Trump of raping her nearly three decades ago, in Manhattan, New York, U.S., September 6, 2024. 

    Adam Gray | Reuters

    The Supreme Court on Monday rejected President Donald Trump‘s latest Hail Mary attempt to overturn a federal civil jury’s verdict finding him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E. Jean Carroll.

    The court’s decision was revealed in an order list. It offered no explanation for why it refused Trump’s petition for a rehearing in the case.

    The order leaves Trump no remaining options to challenge the verdict, Carroll’s attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said later Monday morning.

    “We are pleased that the United States Supreme Court has declined again to hear this case,” Kaplan said in a statement to CNBC.

    “As a result, the jury’s unanimous verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E. Jean Carroll is now final and cannot be challenged in any court,” said Kaplan.

    The Supreme Court had already denied a prior attempt by Trump to challenge the verdict, which left intact the $5 million that Carroll was awarded in damages.

    Carroll was paid more than $5.6 million last month, comprising the damages award plus post-judgment interest, according to the online docket in her case.

    Read more CNBC politics and policy coverage

    Trump has also asked the Supreme Court to overturn a separate federal civil defamation verdict awarding Carroll $83.3 million. The high court has not made a decision in that case.

    A spokesman for Trump’s legal team told CNBC in a statement Monday morning, “The American People stand with President Trump as they demand an immediate end to all of the Witch Hunts, including the Democrat-funded travesty of the Carroll Hoaxes.”

    A civil jury in 2023 found Trump liable for sexually abusing Carroll in the Manhattan department store Bergdorf Goodman in the 1990s, then defaming her in 2019 after she went public with her claim about the encounter.

    The Supreme Court in late June denied Trump’s appeal of the Carroll verdict. In early July, Trump asked the court to reconsider.

    His attorneys argued that a rehearing was necessary because Trump’s imminent attempt to overturn the separate, $83.3 million Carroll verdict will “present vital questions concerning Presidential immunity for official statements.”

    “Those questions are likely to bear on the proper disposition” of the $5 million Carroll case, Trump’s legal team wrote.

    Carroll in both cases relied on statements that Trump made while president, which his lawyers argue were “improperly introduced” in light of the Supreme Court’s ruling that presidents have “presumptive immunity” for official acts.

    Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.

    Read the original article here

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit Telegram

    You might also be interested in...

    South Korea must brace for ‘worst-case scenario,’ President Lee says

    August 18, 2026

    Luigi Mangione expected to plead guilty in federal case: Report

    August 17, 2026

    Kennedy Center board votes to put Trump name on facade

    August 16, 2026

    Mamdani’s NYC pied-à-terre tax can continue during court appeal

    August 16, 2026

    Trump ally Farage wins special election to return to UK parliament

    August 15, 2026

    Massive polling misses in Wisconsin, Michigan primaries

    August 15, 2026
    Popular Posts

    HEO to use Planet satellites for non-Earth imaging

    Will Green Day ever make the ‘American Idiot’ movie or a full biopic? Tré Cool responds

    “Sometime This Century” Is an Enchanting Regency Romance Across Time

    5 Stylish Items to Buy This Week – 8/17/26

    Ariana Madix Returning To Broadway After ‘Chicago’ Debut

    TV Review: ‘Lanterns’ | Moviefone

    Categories
    • Books (2,277)
    • Business (3,209)
    • Events (31)
    • Film (257)
    • LifeStyle (2,745)
    • Music (2,613)
    • Politics (2,173)
    • Science (1,846)
    • Technology (1,786)
    • Television (4,098)
    • Uncategorized (3)
    • US News (3,058)
    Archives
    Useful Links
    • Contact us
    • About us
    • Amazon Disclaimer
    • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    © 2026 Chicago News Journal. All rights reserved. All articles, images, product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement unless specified. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.